Thursday 23 July 2009

Karola 17-07-1904

My dear Delia,

We arrived here this afternoon and we hear that the Tibetans are up at the Pass to oppose us, to the number of 5000. We are now four days out from Gyantsee and well on our road to Lhassa. We have had a comfortable march so far although we have had one very wet day . I am fit and well and going strong. Our posts now are very uncertain but I will post this at the first opportunity. We are all wondering what sort of show we shall have tomorrow, of course the enemy may bolt tonight. I have received your mail safely and am glad that all things are going on well with you. I think you have forgotten to answer about the Anglo French Exploration Co. I expect they will "buck up" shortly. The General and Staff have just gone out to reconnoitre the position for tomorrow's action.

Very many thanks for your birthday present - also Amy's - they are both quite useful and I am delighted to have this knife and fork - blow this pan!!!

No time for more. Much love to all, your affectionate brother, Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment